So this week we had a really good experience. I have really have gained a testimony of service and the importance of serving others because it is in those moments that you can't help but be and feel happy. You can see that the person you are helping is happy and how now they have one less thing to do. So I have been praying for service opportunities a lot this week and we have had success! So first off, if you ask a Dominican "how can I help you?" The answer is always... no it's okay, I'm fine or it's okay, I'll do it myself! So I have learned that in order to serve them, you just DO IT! So sometimes I'm bolting for the kitchen when no one is looking to start washing dishes before they realize it and kick me out! It makes for some funny, but good experiences. Especially when they panic that I'm not doing it THEIR way.=)
This Sunday we were on our way to a members house when we see these Haitian kids and one is being bullied and goes off crying. So we pass him and I gave him some candy to help him feel better (I always try to have something to give the kids when they ask us for money or when something like this happens so that I can share something with them) So we keep going and then turn around and decide to sit with him until he stops crying. So the others Haitian kids are kind of staring at us from a safe distance and I motion and tell them to come here and I asked what happened and one kid (who wasn't there at that moment with them) had taken his toy away. And we then proceeded to have a conversation about how we should help others and take care of others because if we were in the same position we would want someone to help us and that is what Jesus Christ would do so we should follow him and try and help others. We then gave candy or gum to all of them and walked 10 steps until a man stopped us and began singing to us on that street corner.....it was fun! He had a good voice!
Anyways I love you all! I'm learning that even though you don't always see big things and big progression, the small things every day count and people will always know and feel that you love them when you serve them happily and willingly!
Hna Carey
No comments:
Post a Comment